What We Do
AASW Practice Standards Review
|The Review of the Practice Standards|
Consultation has now closed on the second draft of the Practice Standards 2013
The National Practice Standards Review Committee would like to thank all those who provided feedback on the second draft of the Practice Standards 2013.
All feedback is currently being reviewed and final changes will be made to the draft Practice Standards before then presenting to the Board for final ratification and sign off.
Updates around completion time frames will be posted on this web page and via e-bulletins.
Access to Feedback Submissions from first round of consultation
In the interests of a transparent process, all respondents making a submission during the first round of consultation were asked to provide consent (optional) for their feedback to be published to the website. These are available for access below.
*Please note - Some respondents requested for their information to be de-identified.
- Respondent AB - individual
- Respondent HDC - individual
- Respondent KDR - individual
- Respondent KI - individual
- Respondent YW - individual
- Respondents DMH & ER - individual
- Respondent DS - individual
- Respondent A - individual
- Respondent B - individual
- Respondent C - individual
- Respondent D - individual
- Respondent E - individual
- Respondent F - individual
Focus Group Submissions
- Respondent - ACT focus group
- Respondent - NthQld focus group
- Respondent - NthQld focus group 1
- Respondent - TAS focus group
- Respondent - TAS focus group 1
- Respondent - TAS focus group 2
- Respondent - SA focus group 1
- Respondent - SA focus group - comments on draft
- Respondent - QLD Branch focus group
- Respondent - NSW focus group 1
- Respondent - NSW focus group 2
Submissions - Organisations/Other Stakeholders
- Respondent - SARRAH
- Respondent - ACT Health
- Respondent - AASW Education Committee
- Respondent - QLD field educators - managers and co-ordinators
- Respondent- School SW Practice Group
- Click here to access the draft practice standards
In 2003, the AASW published its first edition of the Practice Standards for Social Workers. The aim of the Practice Standards was to:
- outline clear minimum standards for general social work practice in Australia
- provide a basis for the standardisation of practice across Australia
- articulate the expectations of clients, employers and others
- benchmark the formal assessment of practice; and
- guide the development and planning of ongoing professional development activities
Since then, the Practice Standards have influenced a range of AASW initiatives and the profile of the social work profession, most notably through their impact on the Australian Social Work Education and Accreditation Standards, advanced practice standards, Continuing Professional Development (CPD) guidelines and by providing a benchmark for social work practice for the public, employers, social workers and other professions.
A review of the Practice Standards provides a critical and timely means of meeting and responding to the challenges of a changing environment with a clear, coherent and unified voice and ensures a platform upon which to support and engage a new generation of social work professionals.
|The Review Process|
While the National Practice Standards Review Committee will oversee the review, the actual review process will include substantial opportunities for the input, feedback and contributions from all key stakeholders including members, clients, educators, employers, AASW Branches, related committees and working groups.
Over the months of November and December, focus groups regarding the practice standards review and first draft of the practice standards were held in most states and territories. The National Practice Standards Review Committee would like to thank those Branch Ethics Group Convenors, Branch Ethics Group members, Branch Managers and members of Branch Management Committees who gave up their time to support us by organising and facilitating these focus groups.
|The National Practice Standards Review Committee (NPSC)|
In August 2011, the Practice Standards Committee was convened. The role of this group is to develop, oversee and contribute to the review of the Practice Standards 2003 culminating in the publication of revised Practice Standards over the next twelve months.
The Committee brings together substantial knowledge, expertise and experience in a range of social work settings. Current members are:
- Dr. Carmel Laragy, Chair
- Virginia Scott
- Sharlene Nipperess
- Helen Hickson
- Christine Levy
- Dr. Lynelle Osburn
- Kym Daly, AASW Senior Manager Ethics & Standards
- Fran Hardcastle, AASW National Ethics and Practice Standards Officer
|The Practice Standards Review Reference Group|
In March 2012 the Practice Standards Reference Group was convened. The Reference Group is made up of five experienced social work professionals who bring a wealth of knowledge and practice expertise from a wide range of social work settings. The Reference Group will provide consultation and feedback to the National Practice Standards Committee on the content, development and review of the AASW Practice Standards for Social Workers. The Reference Group currently consists of the following professionals:
- Professor Robert Bland
- Christine Craik
- Biljana Milosevic
- Stephen Brand
- Peter Humphries