News & updates
AASW supports call for closure of Nauru
8th Apr 2015
The Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) supports the call by its member Viktoria Vibhakar that all asylum seekers on Nauru be transferred to Australia. The call was made in an Open Letter to the Australian People and discussed on ABC TV’s Lateline on Tuesday 7 April and in a story on the Guardian online.
Viktoria also provided professional, detailed and helpful evidence to the Senate Select Committee's Inquiry into the Regional Processing Centre in Nauru on Tuesday 9 June 2015.
The AASW Board of Directors has endorsed a position statement on children in detention and AASW President Karen Healy has also written an opinion piece which analyses the issues.
- Media release: AASW supports protest against Border Force Act
- Media release: AASW joins call for amendment of Australian Border Force Act
- Asylum seeker worker tells of abuse of children as young as two on Nauru: The Guardian
- Media release: Close Nauru detention centre now
- Open letter to the Australian People
- 7 April 2015 Lateline report: Immigration Department aware of sexual abuse allegations against children
- Opinion piece: Ethical dilemma of welfare professionals
- 8 April Guardian report: Nauru child protection worker - We felt a duty to tell Australia about abuse
- Position statement: Children in detention