See More

Social work graduate resources and programs

Power Your Advantage

Finding your first job and thriving in it

This is a series of videos developed by the AASW's Victorian Branch, that discusses how to search for your first social work job, planning for the interview process, choosing and approaching referees, what happens in the interview and maintaining self care in the workplace.

Horizon Career Centre

AASW's Horizon Career Centre is just the place for you to peruse new job opportunities.

Horizon Career Centre: AASW's social worker job website

New graduate practice groups

The Association has practice groups for graduates around the country. Check these groups in your area, and you may also be able to participate via technology if you are not located within these branches. Contact the local group convenor to discuss how you can be involved.

Queensland - Student and New Graduate Network

South Australia

Victoria - New Graduate Social Work Network Practice Group

Western Australia

Queensland's Student and New Graduate Network has a Facebook group.

If you have started, or wish to start, your career in a particular practice area, our branches facilitate a number of specialist practice groups. Please see our individual branch pages for more information.

Find a supervisor

Are you looking for professional supervision? Search for a supervisor convenient to you.

Social work programs

MSW (Qualifying)

Individuals who have completed an undergraduate degree with at least one year of study in social sciences are able to apply to study a Master of Social Work (Qualifying) degree. The universities listed below offer MSW (Q) degrees, in either on-campus or off-campus (distance) modes of delivery, and often at multiple campuses. Check the individual university sites for full details.

  • Australian Catholic University (NSW, QLD, ACT)
  • Australian College of Applied Psychology (ACAP) (NSW, VIC)
  • Curtin University (WA)
  • Charles Darwin University (NT)
  • Charles Sturt University (NSW)
  • Deakin University (VIC)
  • Federation University (VIC)
  • Flinders University (SA)
  • Griffith University (QLD)
  • James Cook University (QLD)
  • La Trobe University (VIC)
  • Monash University (VIC)
  • Queensland University of Technology (QLD)
  • RMIT University (VIC)
  • Southern Cross University (QLD)
  • University of Melbourne (VIC)
  • University of New England (NSW)
  • University of Queensland (QLD)
  • University of South Australia (SA)
  • University of the Sunshine Coast (QLD)
  • University of Sydney (NSW)
  • University of Tasmania (TAS)
  • University of Western Australia (WA)
  • University of Wollongong (NSW)
  • Western Sydney University (NSW)

Advanced practice MSW

If you are already a qualified social worker and you’d like to undertake further study to attain a higher degree, there are a number of Australian universities that offer advanced MSW programs.

These include:

  • Flinders University SA
  • Monash University VIC
  • University of Melbourne VIC
  • Charles Sturt University NSW
  • University of Tasmania TAS

PhD in social work

Most universities in Australia offer Doctorate programs that allow you to pursue your interests through research in the social work field. Check the university sites for further information about PhD options.

* This information is subject to change; it is recommended that you check with the relevant university to confirm details about courses you are interested in pursuing.

AASW - Australian Association of Social Workers