Experience and practice Diaphragmatic Breathing on a personal and clinical level.
Day 1: 1 December 2023 | 2.00pm–5.00pm AEDT
Day 2: 8 December 2023 | 2.00pm–4.00pm AEDT
Member price: $440.00 including GST (member price will display once logged in)
Non-member price: $733.00 including GST
Employer Partner Program price: $549.75 including GST
Social work brings a uniquely holistic perspective to work with clients and understands the importance of relaxation and rest for improving overall health and wellbeing.
Guided Imagery (GI) is a relaxation technique that uses the ‘mind’s eye’ to help de-stress and reduce the impact of chronic conditions. GI is an evidence-based intervention that can effectively be used in social work.
This two-part interactive workshop enables participants to develop skills in a simple, effective, low-cost intervention for pain, anxiety, depression, sleep disorders and trauma. In this workshop, Dr Judy Lovas will:
- Translate and explain current research that supports the clinical use of GI
- Outline biological pathways involved in stress and relaxation
- Consider the why, how and when to apply GI clinically
- facilitator-led zoom workshops: 5 hours
- self-directed learning and practice: 1 hour
Additional resources provided:
- Supplementary handouts (self-directed practice and reflective activities)
Who should attend? Social workers and allied health professionals who wish to understand and develop proficiency in GI as an effective, evidence-based therapeutic intervention.
By the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Define stress, relaxation and relaxation therapy
- Consider leading research in GI as a therapeutic intervention for chronic conditions
- Identify biological mechanisms by which GI can reduce chronic conditions
- Experience and practice GI on a personal level
- Apply GI to clients in a clinical setting
AASW Credential: Mental Health; Clinical
Judy Lovas PhD presents the art and science of relaxation for health and medical professionals. Judy is dedicated to teaching personal and clinical applications of evidence-based relaxation skills such as diaphragmatic breathing and guided imagery.
She runs short courses in Faculty of Medicine and Health, University of Sydney, for organisations such as AASW and Zoom teaches around the world. Judy also conducts relaxation classes in aged care, neurological rehabilitation and online. When not working, Judy relaxes with family and friends.
The AASW is pleased to welcome Judy back to our program due to popular member demand.