Building Resilience and Preventing Radicalisation to Violent Extremism - An Awareness Raising Workshop (Cairns 06 March 2018)
|Date:||06 March 2019|
|Time:||9:00am - 1:30pm (arrive by 8:45am for registrations)|
|Organiser:||AASW National Office|
- Event date has passed
- Registrations are closed
The AASW is pleased to be able to offer this continuing professional development program for social work, mental health and welfare professionals around the theme of Building Resilience & Preventing Radicalisation to Violent Extremism - An Awareness Raising Workshop.
This workshop will be offered free to all attendees with priority given to AASW members.
We have worked with subject matter experts to design a course which enables frontline professionals to better understand radicalisation towards, and disengagement from, violent extremism. The aim of the course is to upskill frontline service providers to work with clients who may present to them with this particular problem. This offers an early intervention approach based on social inclusion principles that integrates clients with existing services and community activities.
This course is not about mandatory reporting, conducting investigations, proposing new programs or therapies or general social cohesion initiatives.
Further information about the program is available here.
- Understand radicalisation to violent extremism in the Australian context
- Be aware of myths about radicalisation and violent extremism
- Understand why young people might be susceptible to radicalisation to violent extremism
- Understand how to respond calmly and appropriately to situations which arise
- Understand what is involved from a client’s perspective in walking away from violent extremism
- Be aware of the difference between ‘disengagement’ from violent extremism and ‘deradicalisation’
- Understand how to tap into your existing approaches to early intervention, as taken with other damaging behaviours
- Build on existing practices and leveraging existing programs and policies
- Understand how to utilise a framework for making structured professional judgments.
This workshop is free for all attendees, with priority for AASW members.
Who should attend
This workshop is designed for social workers and frontline mental health professionals who have completed their tertiary qualifications. The workshops are not open for undergraduate students, however consideration may be given to students completing post-graduate social work study.
Date and time
Harbourside Function Room
209-217 The Esplanade, Cairns City QLD 4870
4.5 CPD hours (Skills and Knowledge)
Please see details on the right of this page to register.
For further information contact the National Office CPD team: