Fundamentals of couple counselling - a two day introduction workshop
|Date:||23-24 Mar 2020|
Refer to body of text
|Organiser:||Geraldine McKay and Pamela Seraskeris|
Couple relationships are a key place where adults find and create closeness, love, trust and commitment. Couple counselling involves working with adults to address the challenges that arise in the context of such relationships. The two day training course incorporates a number of components that are central to working with couples. Key systemic concepts will be presented so that participants may firstly understand relationships systemically. Participants will then have an opportunity to practice the “how to do couple counselling” aspects of this work.
It will include:
- Understanding dyads and triangles
- Genograms and hypothesising
- Circular questions
- Conducting a couple session
- Facilitating change within the session
- Facilitating change outside of the session
- Managing the therapeutic relationship
- Contracting and closure
The course will take participants through the important steps required to work with couples incorporating both theory and practice. This will be done through role play, small and large group discussions and consideration of scenarios.
- An increased knowledge of systemic couple therapy
- Skills in structuring and conducting a couple session
- Skills in couple assessment, interviewing and facilitating change
- Skills in managing the therapeutic relationship and
- Increased understanding of the issues central to couple work
- At least 2 years post graduate counselling experience working with couples and or individuals
- Limited experience working with couples - to cater for those practitioners who would like to transition to couple counselling.
Geraldine McKay and Pamela Seraskeris are Accredited Mental Health Social Workers with Master qualifications in Couple and Family Therapy and adult education and training. They work in private practice providing individuals, couples and families and clinical supervision. They have extensive experience in working with couples and are passionate about sharing their knowledge and experience with others.
Location and date
Elizabeth Street Centre,
Training Room Level 1,
410 Eizabeth Street,
Surry Hills NSW 2010.
23-24 March 2020
Early bird AASW member (register before 20 Feb): $415
Early bird standard (register before 20 Feb): $435
AASW Members: $450