Working with Men Separating from Violence and Abuse
|Date:||19 February 2019|
|Time:||9:00am to 4.00pm|
|Venue:||Education Development Centre, 4 Milner St, Hindmarsh, SA|
$250 Non Members
$105 Student Members
$125 New Graduate Members and Non Member Students
|Organiser:||AASW SA Branch|
- Event date has passed
- Registrations are closed
This workshop will explore respectful and accountable ways of engaging with men when their concerns about his use of violence, abuse and coercive control in his relationships with partners, ex-partners and children. Utilising ideas and practices developed from Narrative Therapy (Michael White) and the Invitational approach of Alan Jenkins.
- Reflect on first steps in conversations with men who have hurt those they love
- Consider ways to open up ‘ethical space’ in conversations with men, from where they can review and critique their own violence or control
- Develop confidence in ‘respectfully interrupting’ the appearance of self-intoxicating and worked-up stories from men
- Deepen their awareness and practices of accountability to (ex)partners and children by inviting men to step into the ‘world of the other’
- Practice skills in assisting men to re-author preferred, richer accounts of identities as men, partners and fathers.
- Grasp the significance of shame in men’s ethical journeys towards responsibility
- Reflect on their own ethical journey as counsellors or therapists towards a de-centred and influential position in their work with men
More than 30 years experience in different educational settings. Over the last 10 years, provision of lectures/training to Rural Social Workers, UniSA and Adelaide University at Bachelor and Masters level in Social Work, Counselling, and Mediation. Provision over twenty years of workshops to communities and NGOs and public state agencies (Dept Child Protection; SA Legal Commission) varying in length from one day to week long events. Terry Callahan has 18 years of education and provision training, individual and group work with men and their partners/ex-partners and children around domestic violence. The last five years Terry has been the provision of counselling for men in Family Court system re domestic violence.
Location and date
Tuesday, 19 February 2019
8.45am for 9.00am to 4.00pm
EDC, Milner St, Hindmarsh
$ 165 Members
$ 250 Non Members
$ 105 Student Members
$ 125 New Graduate Members and Student Non-Members
Morning and afternoon tea will be provided.