Mental Health First Aid 2 day course
|Date:||23 June 2018 & 30 June 2018|
Course participants learn about the signs and symptoms of the common and disabling mental health problems, how to provide initial help, where and how to get professional help, what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective, and how to provide first aid in a crisis situation.
Developing mental health problems covered are:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems.
- Mental health crisis situations covered are:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury (sometimes called deliberate self-harm)
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects of drug or alcohol use
- Severe psychotic states
- Aggressive behaviours.
Participants who complete this training are eligible to complete an online Accreditation Assessment in order to receive a Mental Health First Aider Certificate of Accreditation valid for 3 years.
By the end of the course, participants will develop:
- Skills in how to recognise the signs and symptoms of mental health problems
- Knowledge of the possible causes or risk factors for these mental health problems
- Awareness of the evidenced based medical, psychological and alternative treatments available
- Skills in how to give appropriate initial help and support someone experiencing a mental health problem
- Skills in how to take appropriate action if a crisis situation arises involving suicidal behaviour, panic attack, stress reaction to trauma, overdose or threatening psychotic behaviour.
Geraldine McKay and Pamela Seraskeris are skilled practitioners with many years teaching in the mental health field. Both presenters are Accredited Mental Health Social Workers with a master's degree in Couple and Family Therapy, and qualifications in adult education and training. They work in private practice providing counselling, clinical supervision and training. Both presenters are passionate about sharing their knowledge and experiences in order to help others increase their skills and understanding of mental health.
Date and location
23 June & 30 June 2018
Kingsgrove RSL Club
8 Brocklehurst Lane, Kingsgrove, NSW 2208