Prolonged Exposure Therapy Training Program and Workshop with Dr Darryl Wade
|Date:||14-16 Oct 2020|
|CPD hrs:||24 hours for 3 Day Training Program|
Refer to body of text
|Organiser:||Darryl Wade Psychology|
Do You Treat Clients with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Related Conditions? PTSD is an often complex and challenging mental health condition for practitioners to treat. Many practitioners see a significant number of clients with PTSD, whether the result of single incident or more chronic traumatic experiences.
PE therapy is a highly effective trauma-focussed therapy for PTSD supported by decades of research. PE therapy is specifically designed to help clients to process traumatic experiences and to improve their day-to-day functioning. The therapy can be adapted to meet the needs of individual clients, including those with previous trauma of child abuse, rape, assault, combat, accidents and disasters.
This experiential training will equip you with effective PE therapy skills that you can immediately put into practice for lasting impacts on your clients’ lives.
Our 3 Day Training Program covers the essentials of PE therapy including trauma and PTSD, effective treatments for PTSD, emotional processing theory, PE therapy rationale and psychoeducation for PTSD, PE therapy exposure-based learning and processing techniques (e.g. in vivo and imaginal exposure and post-exposure emotional processing), and addressing avoidance and other issues when using PE therapy. The program also covers more advanced topics including working with clients with developmental, prolonged or repeated trauma and Complex PTSD. Upon completion, you will be eligible to enrol in post-training supervision to achieve accreditation as a PE therapist.
Our 2 Day Workshop is also available which covers the first two days of the full program and does not include more advanced topics.
At the end of the first 2 days of training, participants should be able to:
- Describe traumatic events and the diagnosis and symptoms of PTSD
- Describe effective treatments for PTSD
- Discuss emotional processing theory as it relates to PE therapy
- Implement PE therapy components of rationale for treatment and psychoeducation
- Construct an in vivo exposure hierarchy to promote learning and develop expanded activities for a client
- Implement in vivo exposure to safe but avoided situations with clients
- Conduct imaginal exposure to memories of traumatic events
- Identify and address avoidance in PE therapy sessions
- Identify and address over- and under-engagement in imaginal exposure.
At the end of the 3rd day of training, participants should also be able to:
- Describe the relationship between developmental, prolonged or repeated trauma and more complex presentations
- Describe the use of PE therapy for treating PTSD and comorbid conditions
- Describe effective approaches using PE therapy for Complex PTSD
- Undertake case formulation and treatment planning for complex cases
- Engage with peers in facilitated case discussion and feedback on complex cases.
Dr Darryl Wade BA (Hons), MA (Clin Psych), PhD, MAPS is a clinical psychologist with 26 years’ experience as a practising mental health practitioner. He is an internationally recognised expert in posttraumatic mental health conditions who has published widely in the field. He is Australia’s only accredited PE trainer and consultant with the Centre for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety, University of Pennsylvania. Until recently, Dr Wade held the positions of Head of Practice Improvement and Innovation at Phoenix Australia National Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health, and Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry, The University of Melbourne.
Location and date
Melbourne - Mantra Southbank Melbourne, 31 City Rd, Southbank VIC 3006
14-16 Oct 2020
3 Day Training Program: Super Early Bird $1020, Early Bird $1110, Regular $1200 incl GST
2 Day Workshop: Super Early Bird $860, Early Bird $900, Regular $960 incl GST