Student and New Graduate Seminar: Navigating Social Work in Australia 2019
|Date:||31 July 2019|
|Venue:||AASW Melbourne Office, VIC|
AASW Student Members: $15
Rosanna Di Grazia
Tel: 9320 1012
This seminar aims to provide international social work students, new graduates and overseas trained social workers who are new to the Australian context with the following: -
- Information about the services offered by the AASW International Qualifications and Assessment Team regarding Recognition of Overseas Qualifications, Migrations Skills Assessment and AASW Eligibility;
- Insights into the social work landscape in Australia regarding key employers, sectors, fields of practice;
- Advice on key attributes and skills sought by employers;
- Insights into the journeys of international social work students, new graduates and overseas trained social workers who have successfully navigated their way into social work in Australia; and
- Opportunities to interact with panellists and peers with a view to sharing experiences and seeking advice about opportunities in Australia and beyond.
The seminar will take the form of a Panel Presentation followed by a Question and Answer Session involving: -
- A representative of the AASW International Qualifications Assessment Team;
- A social worker who has trained overseas or been an international student and who can speak about their own journey;
- A recruiter involved in placing social workers; and
- An employer in the social work field.
- Glenda Lapsley - AASW Team Leader, International Qualifications and Assessment Team
- Johnson Mathew - Senior Practice Advisor, Department of Justice and Community Safety
- Sean Callanan, McArthur Recruitment
- Kato Adinegoro, AASW Professional Standards Officer
Further panellists to be confirmed.
AASW Melbourne Office
Level 7, 14-20 Blackwood Street, North Melbourne
The AASW office is close to Flemington Road and near the Royal Women's and Royal Melbourne Hospitals.
Please note: Travel via public transport is recommended. The office is close to the CBD and a short walk from the Haymarket Walk/Elizabeth Street tram stop (trams 19 & 59) and the Grattan Street tram stop (trams 55 & 59). Parking in the area is generally on-street, metered parking and is limited (due to current roadworks there are less options for parking in Blackwood St at the moment). There are limited 2 hour free street parking spaces near-by in Courtney Street or metered 4 hour parking in Blackwood Street, Howard Street and surrounds.
There is also a parking facility at the VCCC building that offers safe car parking every day of the week from 6:00am to 9:00pm. Cost is $14 for 1-2 hours or $20. Visit https://www.petermac.org/location/melbourne/getting-peter-mac/parking for details.
The Blackwood St Car Park (located on the ground level the AASW is located in) is currently offering a $16 flat rate per day per exit between 7:30am to 7:30pm. The car park accommodates up to 200 cars. You need to book online prior to arrival at Blackwood St Car Park.
There are facilities available outside the building to lock bikes.
Places are limited.
Light refreshments will be provided.
Please see details on the right of this page to register. If you are a member please ensure you enter your member login and password to receive your discount. The cost for becoming a Student Member of the AASW is currently $51 for the year and for New Graduate Members the fee is $196. Join online here
Your registration is required by Thursday 25 July.
If you are an AASW member please login using your Member ID and password to receive the member rate.
LIVE STREAMING OPTION
If you live in a rural or remote area, or if you are interstate, and would like to participate by webinar please register online and a Gotowebinar link will be emailed to you prior to the seminar.
Note this workshop will be followed by the following Student and New Graduate Seminars:
Securing Your First Social Work Role - Wednesday 28 August 2019
Social Work Journeys - Transitioning From Student to Professional - Thursday 19 September 2019