Supervision & State of Being: Supervisor Training Level 1
|Date:||19-20 September 2019|
|Venue:||Melbourne Zoo, Parkville|
|CPD hrs:||14 hours|
Refer to listing
This unique, practical and highly interactive, two-day workshop teaches participants the foundational skills of a supervisor working with multi-disciplinary teams and introduces participants to a State of Being approach to supervision, where relationship is placed at the heart of supervision. The workshop is offered at the Melbourne Zoo, an exceptional learning environment that provides full catering and plenty of opportunity to enjoy and relax in the surroundings. Participants receive a comprehensive Learner Guide and a Course Certificate upon completion of the two days.
Whilst many supervision programs offer expert knowledge and skilled facilitation, which are essential for good training, our Supervision and State of Being workshops take supervision training to another level. Participants tell us again and again that the way we connect with and engage them in their learning journey, and the attention we pay to the workshop culture and environment itself, results in an exceptional learning experience for them.
Why? Firstly, by painstakingly designing every workshop from an adult learning, strengths based and holistic perspective, participants are readily able to connect with and apply traditional and innovative frameworks and tools in their own way to their supervision practice. Through safe, affirming, purposeful and expertly guided experiential, didactic, peer-to-peer and self-reflective learning, participants grow their skills so that by the time they leave the workshop they are genuinely enriched by the experience.
Secondly, because we know that the physical environment is what sustains and uplifts us, we pay as much attention to our choice of venue as everything else. Without fresh air, natural light, healthy, delicious food, and the space to move around and be ourselves, we don’t function at our best. Incorporating this knowledge into our program results in higher quality learning.
Level 1 is designed for (but not limited to) social work, human services, health, education, counselling, human resources & other professionals with no supervision experience, or inexperienced supervisors wanting to grow their skills and increase their confidence. It is followed by Supervision and State of Being Level 2, which is designed for more experienced supervisors.
At the end of level one, participants will be able to:
- Describe what supervision is and the varied contexts within which it operates
- Distinguish between and apply practical supervision frameworks to their own practice, including functional, reflective learning, solution focused and cultural frameworks
- Incorporate a holistic State of Being approach into their supervision practice
- Establish and engage in authentic and productive supervision relationships
- Demonstrate their use of adult learning and strengths based approaches in supervision conversations
- Use practical strategies for working with supervisees with different learning styles
- Hold purposeful, structured formal and informal supervision meetings
- Identify the role of conscious awareness and mindfulness in building more powerful supervision relationships
- Prepare for and better manage difficult supervision conversations
- Apply key principles for ethical decision making in supervision
- Demonstrate record keeping and knowledge of accountability requirements in supervision
- Provide respectful, constructive feedback to supervisees
- Reflect on their self development in a way that is affirming and growth focused
- Practice self-care and identify components of trauma informed supervision
A minimum of 2 years practice experience and an understanding of what supervision; some formal theories beyond entry level; knowledge of legislation related to organisational practice, and an open mind.
Jane Wexler BA, BSW, MSW, MAASW (Acc), Acc. Exec. Coach, is the Founding Director of Jane Wexler Consulting, specializing in leadership development, supervision, executive coaching and education. Built on a culture of innovative, creative and values driven thinking, the organization reflects Jane’s focus on growing skills and achieving successful, performance based results for human services, health and other professionals.
Jane is highly regarded and widely sought after for her expertise and experience across diverse areas of human services, education, publishing, arts & entertainment, with private, government, community and not-for-profit organizations in Australia, China, Singapore, India and Asia Pacific. She is a highly skilled educator, trainer and group facilitator, having taught social work to thousands of students at Deakin, RMIT and Monash universities, and business studies to students at Holmes Change le College and other professionals in private companies in Shanghai. She has also delivered tailored face-to face & online supervision, coaching, reflective practice and leadership development programs to professionals across hundreds of organizations.
As a supervisor and executive coach, Jane has worked extensively with human services and other professionals at all stages of their careers, from new graduates to CEOs, assisting them to grow their skills, work out solutions to problems, and make crucial shifts in the way they think and act.
Dates and venue
21-20 September 2019
***Discount AASW member rates (excluding GST):
- $945.00 - Early Saver
- $995.00 - Full Fee
Non-member rates (excluding GST):
- $995.00 - Early Saver
- $1045.00 - Full Fee
Or refer to the attached flyer