The Science and Psychology of Flourishing
|Date:||28th Jul 2017|
|CPD hrs:||7 Hours|
ACWA Members: $220.00
Traditionally, psychology has focused on 'illness' and the treatment of 'problems', neglecting the most important areas of our lives like connection, meaning, resilience and how to enhance and build on what is working well, not just treating what isn't.
Positive psychology is not 'happyology', or seeing the world through rose-coloured glasses. It doesn't pretend that bad stuff doesn't happen. It is the study and application of positive interventions that lead to human 'flourishing' and high levels of wellbeing; based on neuroscience, research, evidence-based practice and the wisdom of ancient traditions. Learn about a new approach to living, which just might make you happier.
At the workshop, you can expect to:
- Define positive psychology
- Understand positive psychology separate from traditional 'illness' deficit based models of psychology
- Learn about the history and key theories/theorists of positive psychology
- Determine how and when positive interventions can be applied
- Apply theory to practice
- Learn about meaning making
- Promote and understand learnt optimism
- Explore theories of happiness and how to increase it
- Explore and experience mindfulness, savouring and gratitude
- Apply tools to create or enhance positive relationships
- Enhance positive emotions for greater wellbeing
Keara is an experienced youth development worker, having worked in a variety of organisations from local and state government, neighbourhood centres and Large NGO's.
Her background is in developing creative, recreational, educational and life skill programs for young people; along with coaching, mentoring and community development. In training her passions are resilience, coaching, youth work, wellbeing and strengths based work.
Keara has a Diploma of Mindfulness and a Diploma of Positive Psychology and Wellbeing, a degree in Visual Arts; post graduate qualifications in Education, a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment and is currently undertaking a Masters of Science Coaching Psychology.
Venue and date
28th July 2017
Sydney Congress Hall
140 Elizabeth Street Level 4
Sydney, New South Wales 2000
ACWA Members: $220.00
Non Members: $240.00