Information for GPs
Social workers can help you make a difference.
AASW's Accredited Mental Health Social Workers are recognised providers with Medicare Australia, delivering clinical social work services in mental health settings and utilising a range of evidence-based strategies.
Find a social worker near you
Our Find a Social Worker service can help you link your patients with a social worker near them. For additional assistance, phone 1800 630 124.
Mental health social work programs
Social workers in the mental health field can deliver professional services under the following programs:
- Better Access to Mental Health Care
- Focused Psychological Strategies
- Chronic Diseases Management (Enhanced Primary Care)
- Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Non-directive pregnancy support counselling (NDPC)
Mental health social work services
- Assessment, intervention, treatment and support, including therapy to individuals, their families/carers and groups with mental health disorders
- Mental State Examination and other relevant assessments across the range of presentations and lifespan
- Evidence-based therapeutic treatments for DSM 5/ICD 10 illness categories
- Bereavement, grief and loss counselling
- Family/parent–child interventions, including evidence-based family interventions
- Couple therapy and relationship counselling
- Therapeutic and psycho-educational group programs
- Assessment and treatments for alcohol and other drug misuse and dual diagnosis/comorbid presentations
- Culturally competent interventions and/or referrals for specific groups
- Facilitating access to information, services and resources.