CPD requirements for AMHSWs
The below listed CPD requirements are for current and applicants for Accreditation as a Mental Health Social Worker. Please see the CPD Policy for further information on hours requirements.
Your CPD must be recorded each year in the online 'My CPD Record' before you renew your membership. Without your CPD recorded you will no longer meet the requirements for maintaining accreditation and provider number (if applicable).
AMHSWs are required to complete a set number of hours of CPD activities each year, including:
- 20 hours relevant to Mental Health practice, and
- 10 hours relevant to Focussed Psychological Strategies (FPS)
Focussed Psychological Strategies is a requirement set by Medicare for all Allied Health professionals to ensure ongoing eligibility for providing services under the ‘Better Access to Mental Health’ program.
Focussed Psychological Strategies (as listed in the Medicare Benefits Schedule) are:
- 1. Psycho-education (including motivational interviewing)
- 2. Cognitive-behavioural therapy including:
- Behavioural interventions
- Behaviour modification
- Exposure techniques
- Activity scheduling
- Cognitive interventions
- Cognitive therapy
- 3. Relaxation strategies
- Progressive muscle relaxation
- Controlled breathing
- 4. Skills training
- Problem solving skills and training
- Anger management
- Social skills training
- Communication training
- Stress management
- Parent management training
- 5. Interpersonal therapy (especially for depression)
- 6. Eye-Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR)
There is also flexibility to include narrative therapy for clients of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent.
For further information regarding this please review the Department of Health's website