Expressions of interest
The highly regarded journal of the AASW, Australian Social Work, is seeking expressions of interest from for the position of Reviews Editor. The Reviews Editor is also a member of the Editorial Board.
The Reviews Editor works closely with the Editor, Associate Editors and Publications Officer as a member of the editorial team, coordinating the process of reviewing books and other published works for inclusion in the journal. Reviews published in the journal provide a useful resource to the readership and complement articles and commentary by leading authors and practitioners.
Role and responsibilities
- identify suitable books and works for review in liaison with the Editor, Associate Editors and Publication Officer
- coordinate a panel of suitable reviewers and provide professional support and advice
- oversee a high quality of reviews for publication
- adhere to the copyediting and publishing standards of the Journal
- contribute towards efforts in maintaining and exceeding the journal’s high editorial and operational standards as a core social work journal
- provide suggestions and recommendations to the editor and publisher staff for continuous quality improvement
- liaise regularly with the Editor/s and Publications Officer regarding all aspects of the Journal, review process and publishing schedule
- be available to offer editorial advice to the Editor/s as required
- advocate on behalf of the journal in an effort to recruit readers, authors, peer reviewers, board members, and other potential partners
- represent and advocate for the journal at social work-related conferences and symposia
- undertake reviews of books and articles typically 3-4 per year.
The successful applicant
The successful applicant will have:
- A record of publication in high quality national or international peer reviewed journals in social work or related areas of scholarship
- Demonstrated capacity to provide critical reviews of books and manuscripts to ensure publications meet international standards of scholarship
- High level communication skills and capacity to work effectively as a member of the Editorial team and the Editorial Board.
- Capacity to contribute to the ongoing development of editorial policies and content of the Journal
- Resident in Australia
- Current member of the AASW and record of continuous membership of the AASW over the previous 12 months.
The appointment is for an initial two-year term, with potential for renewal according to the Editorial Board Terms of Reference. The position requires a minimum commitment of 12 hours per month. An honorarium of $600 per issue is paid.
- Find out more about Australian Social Work on the AASW website, www.aasw.asn.au
- For more information, please email Dr Rosalie Pockett, Chair Editorial Board Rosalie.email@example.com or Professor Fiona McDermott, Editor Australian Social Work Fiona.firstname.lastname@example.org with your query or contact details to discuss the position.
How to apply
Send your expression of interest addressing the criteria and a copy of your curriculum vitae via email to Recruitment@aasw.asn.au by COB Thursday, 4 April 2019.