Health and Mental Health Clinical Placement Field Education Practice Group
Mental Health Convenor
Jo Anne Bevilacqua
Dr Nicole Hill
Dr Maggie Turczynski
The Committee consists of one nominated representative from each university and health and mental health clinical education program.
The Victorian Clinical Placement Council (VCPC) provides state-wide strategic leadership and advice on placement issues. This forum specifically supports social work clinical educators and academic partners in the provision of health and mental health placements for social work students. The purpose of this practice group is to provide a collaborative forum for universities and health and mental health education programs to openly discuss all matters relating to and advancing social work field education.
In Victoria there are over 28 health networks, including public and private healthcare providers, 20 mental health networks and seven accredited Schools of Social Work. One nominated representative from each university and clinical education program forms the Committee.
In consideration of Victoria’s strategic plan for clinical placements, the Committee represents the general members of the practice group to:
- Promote the exchange of information in an open dialogue between relevant stakeholders involved in clinical social work placements
- Promote opportunities for collaborative research and projects to develop an evidence base for clinical social work placements in health and mental health
- Promote opportunities for collaborative training delivery for social workers and students
- Develop shared educative resources
- Promote educative input and professional collaboration on topics relevant to the management of clinical social work placements in health and mental health
- Liaise with other relevant groups to formulate and promote social policy and plan action strategies
- Function as a peer group in which contemporary professional issues are discussed
- Plan, develop and provide advice to AASW, the universities and the field on continuing professional development activities that encourage the development of clinical social work placements in health and mental health
In order to achieve these tasks, Committee members will engage general members of the practice group as required and disseminate information and resources.
Meetings are held from 9:30 – 11:00 at the University of Melbourne. To inquire or attend, please contact:
- Dr Nicole Hill (firstname.lastname@example.org) Lecturer in Social Work and Field Education, Coordinator, Master of Social Work (MSW), Department of Social Work | School of Health Sciences, OR
- JoAnne Bevilacqua (JoAnne.Bevilacqua@mh.org.au) NorthWest Mental Health Social Work Clinical Educator/Research Coordinator.
- Wednesday 3 April
- Thursday 16 May
- Wednesday 26 June
- Wednesday 18 July 2018
- Thursday 16 August 2018
- Thursday 18 October 2018
- Wednesday 21 November 2018
- Thursday 13 December 2018
Membership of this practice group is open to individuals eligible for AASW membership who are:
- Clinical education coordinators within health and mental health settings
- Social workers employed within health and mental health settings
- Social work students with an interest in clinical education in health and mental health
- University field education staff from each of the seven accredited Victorian Schools of Social Work
- Liaison staff currently employed by one of the seven accredited Victorian Schools of Social Work.
Committee membership consists of one nominated representative from each university and health and mental health clinical education program. Each organisation is responsible for nominating their representative. Committee members are responsible for running the practice group, attending monthly meetings, and reporting to and consulting with general members.
Membership is free.
At all times there will be three people as co-conveners of the practice group:
- Clinical educator (or similar) from health
- Clinical educator (or similar) from mental health
- Field education staff member from a university.
The co-conveners will be chosen annually from within the committee membership. If there are multiple options for any position it will be put to members for a vote.
Pursuant to the Australian Association of Social Workers Bylaws:
- There will be at least five members involved in the group
- An AASW officeholder will be a member
- Non-members of the AASW may be practice group members and committee members.
Contact the Victorian Branch
Level 7, 14-20 Blackwood Street
PO Box 2008
Royal Melbourne Hospital
Parkville Vic 3050
12 December 2019
20 January 2020
3 February 2020
20 February 2020
25 February 2020