Work with us
Work with us
Working at the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) is an opportunity to join a supportive workplace and develop your career while contributing to our vision of wellbeing and social justice for all. As a national professional body with more than 17,000 members, we employ people who are passionate about supporting social workers and empowering the profession to make a positive difference.
Our people and teams
The AASW is led by CEO Cindy Smith and governed by a Board of Directors. We employ a range of staff across Australia. Our people contribute their skills and expertise in the following departments:
- CEO’s Office
- Corporate Services
- Professional Practice and Member Engagement
- Standards, Assessment and Accreditation
- Education and Training
- Social Policy and Advocacy
- Brand, Marketing and Communications
As a valued team member at the AASW, you will have access to a range of benefits including:
- flexible work arrangements
- hybrid work from office and home [confirm with manager]
- paid parental leave [12 week top up to salary]
- ex gratia paid days off between Christmas and New Year
- commitment to your training and development
- health and wellbeing events and activities
- access to Employee Assistance Program
We really appreciate the time candidates invest in applying for work opportunities. To give you the best chance of success, please read the following advice about our recruitment process.
- Each position description includes key selection criteria. We review all applications against the selection criteria, so please make sure you have the required qualifications and/or experience.
- If you do not respond to the key selection criteria, we may not consider your application.
- We endeavour to communicate with all applicants in a timely manner.
- If you have been shortlisted for a position, we will call you to discuss your application further.
- If you have been unsuccessful, we will notify you by email, typically within 30 days of the position closing date.
Interviews and reference checks
- The recruitment process will typically include a first round interview online.
- For candidates who progress to the next round, a second interview will be held in person (or online if the candidate is in a different location to the recruiting manager).
- We will not contact your referees without confirming with you first.
- Your information is stored securely and is not shared for any other purpose. Your application will be reviewed internally by the necessary team members.
What our team thinks
We are proud to share highlights from our recent staff culture survey. Responding with ‘strongly agree’ or ‘agree’, our team reports:
- 94% – find professional meaning in my work
- 88% – are proud to work with us
- 90% – would recommend the AASW as a good place to work
Diversity and inclusion at the AASW
The AASW is committed to equal opportunities in employment and embraces diversity and inclusion in its workforce. We encourage applications from culturally and ethnically diverse communities, particularly those underrepresented in the social work profession including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with a disability.