Criterion 2b AASW Practice Standards for Mental Health Social Workers 2014
The main purpose of the application is for applicants to demonstrate to the assessor how their knowledge and practice skills, in their work with people experiencing mental health problems, meet the Practice Standards for Mental Health Social Workers 2014.
Applicants are required to explain the link between their practice experience and the AASW Practice Standards for Mental Health Social Workers 2014.
Applicants are required to demonstrate their (1) knowledge and (2) practice skills by:
- Demonstrating their understanding of the relevant practice standard from their social work knowledge and practice experience, in relation to mental health issues that they encounter in their practice.
- Using a case example from their nominated positions to demonstrate their practice skills utilising FPS to address the mental health issue.
- The Practice Standard indicators are a guide and important in the preparation of the responses – Applicants are not expected to respond to each indicator in their responses.
- The online application allows approximately 250 words to be entered. Applicants are encouraged to make full use of the word limit to best present their responses.
- Applicants should try to make their responses clear, concise and can use point form.
- In providing case examples applicants will need to use real life mental health situations from their practice to demonstrate each practice standard.
- Each of these case examples must show how FPS are used in addressing the practice standard.
- Sufficient depth of response is needed so that assessors can clearly understand how each practice standard influences the applicant’s practice.