Working Overseas

Working Overseas

AASW members seeking work abroad

Are you an AASW member seeking employment in another country? Social work qualifications recognised by the AASW are highly regarded.

New Zealand

The AASW and the New Zealand Social Workers Registration Board have a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA).

Other countries

The AASW does not have mutual recognition agreements with social work bodies of countries other than New Zealand.

AASW members need to find out the local requirements in other countries by referring to the social work bodies and/or registration or regulatory authorities in the relevant jurisdiction. The IFSW website has links to their members.

The countries we most often receive enquiries about are:

United Kingdom

England requires registration through Social Work England.

Wales requires registration through Social Care Wales.

Scotland requires registration through Scottish Social Services Council.

Northern Ireland requires registration through Northern Ireland Social Care Council.


Ireland requires registration through CORU.


Canada requires recognition of qualifications in the province or territory in which you intend to practice.

The list of relevant bodies is available on the Canadian Association of Social Workers’ website.

United States of America

The USA accepts applications for registration to practise through a body called USA Council of Social Work Education – International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service (ISWDRES).

AASW members need to refer to this body to find out whether a licensure to practise as a social worker is required in the United States.

What the AASW can do

Once you know the region in which you find employment, the AASW can prepare a letter confirming your eligibility for AASW membership which may assist you when applying for registration.