Cultural Responsiveness Course
|CPD hrs:||10 hours|
Refer to listing
AASW CPD Team
(03) 9320 1000
The AASW has sourced a learning package from Indigenous Allied Health Australia (IAHA) to provide social workers with accessible CPD in cultural awareness and cultural responsiveness. This course offers two levels of learning with a total of 10 hours of CPD across the package.
Who should register?
Professionals who wish to strengthen their cultural awareness when working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities. This course is also relevant to professionals who wish to build knowledge and skills to be culturally reflective and responsive. Social workers who don’t receive cultural awareness training at their workplaces are strongly encouraged to complete this training.
10 hours of CPD activity: Category 2, skills and knowledge
Level 1 – Foundations in Cultural Awareness (4 hours)
- Increase awareness of the history of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and how this has formed the culture of today’s generation
- Increase knowledge of the diversity of cultures and languages
- Increase knowledge of the variables in terminology and communication with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Increase understanding of the needs and views of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia
- Increase understanding of why cultural safety is an integral part of creating quality in services
Level 1 is a pre-requisite for Level 2
Level 2 – Unpacking a Cultural Responsiveness Framework (6 hours)
- Increase knowledge of the IAHA Cultural Responsiveness Framework, an evidence-based theory
- Increased understanding of what is required for change to occur at a system level for cultural safety to be embedded into services
- Increase knowledge of the “Theory of Change” and the “6 Capabilities” that are considered critical in building cultural responsiveness on a workplace.
- Increase understanding of the politics of identity and diversity of culture both for the individual and that of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Increase understanding of the effects of the dominant culture around the globe
- Increase understanding of the differences in culture and communication and how this can hinder engagement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, creating barriers towards accessing services.
Indigenous Allied Health Australia (IAHA)
Indigenous Allied Health Australia (IAHA) is a national, member-based Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander allied health organisation. IAHA leads sector workforce development and support, to improve the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
IAHA supports Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander allied health students and graduates, value adding to existing professional development, educational and cultural support structures. IAHA also supports the broader allied health workforce and its associate membership of individuals and organisations with expertise, interest and commitment to improving the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Method of delivery
Once you have registered, all online content is available to view at your convenience via the AASW online on-demand training platform.
Please ensure that your email address is accurate and updated when you register.
This recording can be claimed for CPD purposes, consistent with the CPD Goals and Hours Requirements.
Find out more today about opportunities to have your specialised social work skills recognised.
Members $145 (incl GST)
New Graduates, Retired and Student Members $136 (incl GST)
Non-members $160 (incl GST)
To receive member prices please login to the member centre before proceeding with your purchase.
Click submit on the right-hand side of this page to register. You will then receive an email confirmation with instructions on how to access this course.