Talking With Children – An Overview For Social Workers
|CPD Category:||2- Skills and Knowledge|
AASW members: $99
AASW student members: $60
Across many social work settings, including public organisations and private practice settings; workers find themselves in situations which require interacting and engaging with children and adolescents. For many workers, particularly those who see adults as their primary client group, this prospect of talking with children can bring with it feelings of being unprepared, untrained and overwhelmed.
It can create anxieties not only about the technical skills involved, but about the content – how much do we share with children about their families complex and troubled circumstances. What should we say and how do we do it? What skills can be transferred from our work with adults to children? These are important questions.
This training has been developed to acknowledge these concerns and support the development of strengthening social workers’ skills in engaging and talking to children in a way that affirms their and the children’s needs.
Who is this course aimed at
- Social work practitioners employed in organisations where they provide interventions for families which also includes contact with children and adolescents.
- Social Workers working in private practice including those registered with Medicare.
This course will provide an opportunity to:
- Explore the key concerns workers experience and the common myths that exist about engaging with children and adolescents.
- Explore the reasons why it is important to talk and engage with children about their family situations – identifying the contribution this makes to strengthen their emotional development.
- Provide an overview of the key perspectives that inform an understanding of children’s development and capacities.
- Provide practice examples of the skills and strategies required for talking and engaging with children and the supports required for workers within their work setting
- Overview of key theories and frameworks, research findings and practice skills required for talking to and engaging with children across a range of social work settings.
- Understanding of key concerns and issues for workers in engaging with children and the developmental needs of children.
- Capacity to apply what has been covered in this course in your organisation setting or private practice.
This is a SWOT course
CPD for Credentials
This course can be claimed under Mental Health and Clinical for CPD purposes, consistent with the CPD Goals and Hours Requirements.
Find out more today about opportunities to have your specialised social work skills recognised.
AASW Student Members: $60
AASW Members: $99
Register for access by following the link to the right. Upon registering, you will receive a confirmation email - please read this email carefully, as it provides your access to the online course.