Applicants holding either an AASW accredited social work qualification from an Australian tertiary institution or, a social work qualification from overseas that has been assessed and the applicant has been determined to be eligible for AASW membership.
The AASW provides a reduced fee to members with a combined taxable income (your income only) below a low income threshold ($58,604.00 pa). Members are able to access all services and benefits.
This fee is available to members upon application (and with the required documentation) who:
- hold either an AASW accredited social work qualification from an Australian tertiary institution, or social work qualification from overseas that has been assessed and the applicant has been determined to be eligible for AASW membership, and
- have a combined taxable income, (i.e. total personal income from all sources) that is below the AASW low income threshold of $58,604.00 pa.
Members whose financial income changes during the year and increases beyond the low income threshold are required to advise the Membership Team who will invoice them for the balance of full fee for the year.
(Please note that you may be asked to provide evidence of your taxable income from the prior year and current income to verify your eligibility for the reduced fee membership type).
The New Graduate category is for members renewing or joining within 2 years of graduating with their first AASW accredited Social Work degree. This discounted fee recognises new graduates have many expenses to recover in their first years after graduation and that AASW membership in these years is important. Please provide a certified copy of either your transcript, degree or letter of completion from your university.Existing student members can take advantage of a free upgrade to graduate membership for the remainder of the membership year by getting in touch with once able to provide evidence that they have successfully completed all of the requirements of the degree.
Fully retired from paid employment.
Students enrolled in an AASW accredited BSW or MSW (qualifying).
Student (already eligible)
Students eligible for AASW membership and undertaking full time Masters or Doctoral social work studies*.
*Eligible Masters or Doctoral social work studies are determined at the discretion of the AASW
On Leave membership’ has been introduced to allow members to maintain AASW membership and benefits for up to one year at a reduced fee at a time when they may be taking a career break.
Eligibility and conditions
- Supporting evidence/documentation provided by employer attesting to the leave type (or statutory declaration signed by a JP)
- Members must have held at least twelve months of fully paid continuous AASW membership in the following categories – Full, Reduced and Graduate
- Members are entitled to receive access to AASW services at member pricing
- Retained connection and engagement with the profession and the Association while on leave
- Continuous membership status and eligibility for accreditation (as long as other pre-requisites are met)
- Continued participation in practice groups and member forums
- Eligibility to vote
*Contact us if this is you
Internationally qualified social workers who receive a successful Membership Eligibility Assessment are eligible for complimentary AASW membership for the remainder of that membership year (1 July - 30 June) in which their assessment was undertaken.
Accredited Mental Health Social Workers (AMHSW)
The AASW is responsible for the assessment of Accredited Mental Health Social Workers. Successful applicants are able to apply to Medicare Australia for a Medicare Provider Number and access referrals under a number of Government funded programs.