Student and New Graduate Seminar: Securing your first social work role
|Date:||24th October 2018|
|Venue:||AASW Melbourne Office, VIC|
Rosanna Di Grazia
Tel: 9320 1012
- Event date has passed
- Registrations are closed
This seminar aims to support final year students and those who have recently graduated to: -
- gain valuable insights into seeking out and securing your first social work role;
- gather tips for CV preparation and addressing key selection criteria;
- understand how best to translate your field experience and other work experiences into a social work context;
- learn important strategies for preparing for and participating in job interviews; and
- gain insights into the expectations of social work employers with regarding to employing new graduates.
The seminar will take the form of a Panel Presentation followed by a Questions and Answers Session involving: -
- A representative from a key government agency
- A representative of a key recruitment agency
- A social work manager/employer
- A recent graduate
The panelists confirmed to date (more panelists to be confirmed - stay tuned):
- Wendy Khalil (Program Coordinator, Arabic Welfare Inc)
- Lisa Derham (Private Practitioner, Lisa Derham Supervision, Mentoring, Counselling)
- Melissa Braden (Regional Manager, Offending Behaviours Program, Department of Justice)
- Michael Splawa-Neyman (Social Work Manager and Spiritual Care Manger, Monash Health)
- Elyce Sandri (Family Violence Specialist, Melbourne City Mission)
- Sean Callanan (Manager - Human Services Services, McArthur Recruitment)
AASW Melbourne Office
Level 7, 14-20 Blackwood Street, North Melbourne
The AASW office is close to Flemington Road and near the Royal Women's and Royal Melbourne Hospitals.
Please note: Travel via public transport is recommended. The office is close to the CBD and a short walk from the Haymarket Walk/Elizabeth Street tram stop (trams 19 & 59) and the Grattan Street tram stop (trams 55 & 59). Parking in the area is generally on-street, metered parking and is limited (due to current roadworks there are less options for parking in Blackwood St at the moment). There are limited 2 hour free street parking spaces near-by in Courtney Street or metered 4 hour parking in Blackwood Street, Howard Street and surrounds.
There is also a parking facility at the VCCC building that offers safe car parking every day of the week from 6:00am to 9:00pm. Cost is $14 for 1-2 hours or $20. Visit https://www.petermac.org/location/melbourne/getting-peter-mac/parking for details.
The Blackwood St Car Park (located on the ground level the AASW is located in) is currently offering a $9 flat rate per day per exit between 7:30am to 7:30pm. The car park accommodates up to 200 cars. You need to book online prior to arrival at Blackwood St Car Park.
There are facilities available outside the building to lock bikes.
Registrations are at capacity. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be notified should cancellations occur. Priority will be given to AASW members.
Light refreshments will be provided.
Please see details on the right of this page to register. If you are a member please ensure you enter your member login and password to receive your discount. The cost for becoming a Student Member of the AASW is currently $51 for the year and for New Graduate Members the fee is $188. Join online here
LIVE STREAMING OPTION
If you live in a rural or remote area and would like to participate by webinar please register online and a Gotowebinar link will be emailed to you prior to the seminar.